Recipe for Healthy Banana Muffins No Sugar
By: admin On: 2 August 2023
Your Healthy Baking Quick Muffins A great recipe for Healthy muffins using Spelt wheat.
Healthy baking can mean different things to different people. Many, are looking to switch out the gluten, whilst others are more concerned with sugar content. This recipe for healthy banana muffins is not gluten free as it is made with spelt flour. It contains no refined sugar, just the natural sweetness of bananas and dates. The top is glazed with a little honey; but you could omit this if you prefer.
The recipes uses oil rather than solid fat. You can use any oil that you prefer. If you use olive oil, choose a light version rather than the stronger tasting extra virgin. You may wish to use cold-pressed versions of rapeseed or sunflower, or if you prefer not to use seed oils then you could use another neutral oil such as groundnut. Walnut oil could work well, but is quite expensive.
The saucepan that you use for the date puree needs to be large enough to allow for the dates to fizz when the bicarbonate of soda is added.
The weight that we specify of banana is the equivalent of about two frozen bananas. Freezing banana chunks once they become overripe is an excellent way to minimise waste, and they are great for baking. The texture once defrosted is ideal, and the flavour seems to intensify. You can use fresh ripe bananas, or defrosted frozen banana chunks.
Feel free to use any kind of milk that you like; dairy or otherwise
We use a mixture of white spelt flour, and wholemeal spelt flour. The wholemeal adds a bit more fibre and density to the muffin, whilst the white spelt keeps it lighter and stops the whole thing from crossing over into brick territory.
Ingredients for healthy banana muffin recipe
60g oil (see recipe note)
175g pitted dates
175g boiling water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g ripe banana (see recipe note)
100g milk (see recipe note)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 large eggs, beaten
80g white spelt flour (see recipe note)
50g wholemeal spelt flour (see recipe note)
60g walnuts, chopped
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp warmed honey
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin sized paper cases
- Add the dates and the water to a small/medium sized saucepan and cook gently over a low heat until all the water has been absorbed. Mash with a fork to form a smooth puree and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the bicarbonate of soda until the fizzing stops.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas, add the dates and stir in the lemon juice, oil, milk, and beaten eggs.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients; flours, nuts, spices and baking powder.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until they are well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Move to a wire rack, brush the tops with the warm honey and scatter with walnut pieces, before leaving to cool.
- The muffins will keep (and improve with age) for several days and they also freeze exceptionally well.
Don't forget to explore our other healthy baking ingredients.